Among Apple’s most recent innovations in the AirPods series is the revolutionary AirPods Max, the company’s first pair of wireless over-ear headphones. The headphones feature excellent sound staging and high-fidelity audio quality and are wonderfully comfortable to use. Plus, their ANC is unrivaled and performs best if you have many Apple products already in use.
However, like most technological gadgets, even high-end headphones might have performance problems. But, as is the case with most technological devices, turning the headphones off and then back on often fixes many difficulties.
While restarting should solve most problems, if Apple AirPods Max continues to malfunction after many attempts, you may need a factory reset. We’ve covered you with an easy-to-follow guide on resetting your AirPods Max.
Restart or Reset – Understanding the Difference
You can restart a device by powering it down and then back on again to clear its memory and begin afresh with a blank slate. The firmware of your AirPods Max may include temporary memory logs or caches that you can delete with one easy step.
On the other hand, a “hard reset” or “factory reset” means completely erasing all data from the device. Moreover, resetting a gadget to its factory setting may fix serious software problems.
Restart and reset are two different terms. First, restarting clears caches off of your device, while resetting returns the device to factory settings. Second, Apple’s documentation calls a restart a “soft reset” or “reboot,” yet a factory reset of AirPods Max is called a reset.
How to Reset AirPods Max – A Step-by-Step Guide
You’ve heard the old saying, “Have you tried to turn it off and on again?” Here are the steps you should follow to restart or reboot Airpods Max.
- To do a restart or a soft reset, as Apple calls it, hold down the Noise Control button on the Digital Crown.
- The round control knob next to the headband is called the Digital Crown. The circular, rectangular button next to the AirPods Max’s headband is the noise control button.
- Keep your fingers on the buttons for 12 seconds until the status light flashes amber.
- After the LED flashes amber, let go.
Holding the buttons down for an extended period may result in a hard reset, so be careful. Restarting is easy; it is faster and should fix any issues you are facing with your AirPods Max. However, if you’re unable to fix the issues by restarting, we recommend resetting the AirPods Max to factory settings.
How to Reset AirPods Max to Factory Settings
Here is how you can reset your Airpods Max to factory settings:
- First, before resetting Airpods Max, ensure that you have charged the AirPods Max by giving them a quick charge for a few minutes.
- Hold down the Digital Crown while simultaneously pressing the Noise Control button.
- Press and hold the buttons for 15 seconds or until the status light flashes amber and then white.
- Keep your finger away from the buttons.
After resetting the AirPods Max, you will need to re-pair them with your iCloud account to work properly.
You must be able to resolve any issues you were experiencing when you restored your AirPods Max to its factory settings. However, if both restarting your AirPods Max and resetting them to factory settings do not work, we recommend contacting Apple Support.
Can AirPods Max Be Tracked After Reset?
Despite Apple’s ‘Find My AirPods’ function, you won’t be able to find your AirPods Max after resetting them.
Can Stolen AirPods Be Tracked?
You can track your AirPods, but the process is not as simple as you think. If you’ve misplaced or had your AirPods stolen, the easiest thing to do is to use the Find My iPhone function on iCloud.com. You can also use this function to find your AirPods case. With this handy feature, you can discover where your AirPods were last seen and their remaining battery.
If you have synced your AirPods with an iOS device, you may locate them using the Find My iPhone app.
The only way you won’t be able to locate stolen AirPods is if the thief has turned them off, reset them or removed the battery. Your best option is to hope the thief turns them on or syncs them with an iPhone so you can follow their movements.
Turning on Find My iPhone is your best bet if you’re concerned about losing your AirPods. It will show you where your AirPods were last seen, so you may try to recover them if they’ve been lost or stolen.
How Do I Force Pair My Airpod Max?
If your device supports Bluetooth, then AirPods Max will connect to it without any problems. However, before you start pairing your AirPods, you need to ensure that the device you’re using has the most recent software version installed and that the AirPods are powered up.
To connect AirPods Max to your iPhone, iPad, or other Apple device, follow these steps:
iPads and iPhones:
- Activate Bluetooth by going to the Settings menu on your device.
- Take the AirPods out of their smart case. Your smartphone’s home screen should visually represent the pairing procedure.
- You can also use the AirPods’ noise-control button to activate pairing. When you see a flash of white light, go into the settings for your device’s Bluetooth, and you will be able to connect it.
- If you want to connect your AirPods, all you have to do is follow the on-screen prompts.
On Apple Macs:
- Navigate to the Bluetooth settings on your Mac. You may access the Bluetooth settings by clicking on the Bluetooth icon on your toolbar or by going to System Preferences.
- Keep pressing the AirPods Max’s noise-canceling button until the white status light begins blinking.
- On the list of Bluetooth-compatible devices, you will find the AirPods Max.
- Select them, then hit the “connect” button and carry out the rest of the steps as directed.
- Launch the Settings app on your watch, and then pick “Bluetooth” from the menu that appears.
- Once you have taken the AirPods out of their charging case, you can turn the noise cancelation feature on by holding the power button for a few seconds.
- Choose the AirPods from the list on your Apple Watch, then connect them.
Resetting your AirPods Max to its original settings is a breeze. The AirPods Max is still a top pick for us regarding noise-canceling headphones, despite the occasional hiccup that may arise.
In addition, there is no such thing as a perfect product; even the best products sometimes have problems. So problem-solving with the AirPods Max is, thankfully, not too challenging.