Rap is becoming increasingly dominant in the music industry, but in recent years, female rappers have marked their presence heavily. Rappers are known for their fancy properties, bedazzled accessories, expensive outfits and vibrant cars; this comes as no surprise given how much they earn. But, have you ever wondered who the richest female rappers in the world are and what their net worth is? We surely have. Let us present to you the top 7 richest female rappers in the world, and what they are worth.
A Quick Run-Through
Here is a quick walkthrough of the top 10 richest female rappers in the world:
- Nicki Minaj
- Queen Latifah
- Missy Elliot
- Lil Kim
- Sandra Denton
- Cheryl James
The 7 Richest Female Rappers in the World and What They Are Worth
1. Nicki Minaj with a Net Worth of $75 Million
Nicki Minaj, a woman from Trinidad and Tobago, is a name everyone knows. While she was born in Trinidad on 8th of December, 1982, Nicki was brought up in the city of New York. The multi-talented Nicki is not only an American rapper, but also a songwriter, a model as well as an actress.
5 Interesting Facts About Nicki Minaj
- Nicki Minaj married her childhood friend, Kenneth Perry, whom she dated for 10 months prior to their wedding.
- She has received numerous endorsement offers, some of which are from MAC Cosmetics, Pepsi and Adidas.
- She has a son with Kenneth Perry, born in 2020.
- Her pink lipstick has become a trademark.
- She previously got engaged to Meek Mill in April, 2015.
Minaj’s top 5 hits, according to Billboard, are:
- “Super Bass” (released in 2011)
- “Starships” (released in 2012)
- “Moment for Life” ft. Drake (released in 2010)
- “Blazin” ft. Kanye West (released i 2010)
- “Anaconda” (released in 2014)
2. Queen Latifah with a Net Worth of $60 Million
Like Nicki Minaj, Queen Latifah is a talenthouse. Queen Latifah’s real name is Dana Elaine Owens, and was born in 1970 in Newark, New Jersey, in the United States. She is not only a rapper, but also an American songwriter, producer as well as an actress. Queen Latifah has truly reigned the rap industry ever since her debut album release back in 1991.
5 Interesting Facts About Queen Latifah
- Queen Latifah is the first female rapper who was nominated for an Academy Award.
- Her cousin gave her the nickname of ‘Latifah’, back in her teenage years.
- Queen Latifah was the first woman to host the Independent Spirit Awards.
- She has won a Grammy Award.
- She has been arrested twice.
Queen Latifah’s top 5 hits are:
- “U.N.I.T.Y” (released in 1993)
- “Ladies First” (released in 1989)
- “Just Another Day” (released in 1993)
- “Dance for Me” (released in 1989)
- “Blank Hand Side” (released in 1994)
3. Missy Elliott with a Net Worth of $50 Million
Yet another addition to the very talented female rappers is Missy Elliott, a powerhouse of a woman with a strong presence as not only a successful rapper and songwriter, but also a profound dancer and record producer.
5 Interesting Facts About Missy Elliott
- Missy Elliott has 19 wins and 68 nominations.
- She owns 3 luxury cars – a Ferrari, a Phantom and a Lamborghini.
- Missy Elliot owns over 2,000 pairs of sneakers.
- Her favorite day out is at the zoo.
- She is a proud owner of a beautiful mansion in Virginia Beach.
Missy Elliott’s top 5 tracks are:
- “Get Ur Freak On” (released in 2001)
- “The Rain (Supa Dupa Fly)” (released in 1997)
- “Work It” (released in 2002)
- “She’s a B**ch” (released in 1999)
- “Gossip Folks” ft. Ludacris (2002)
4. Lil’ Kim with a Net Worth of $18 Million
Kimberly Denise Jones, who goes with the stage name of Lil’ Kim, was born and brought up in Brooklyn, New York City. She’s been a sensation in the music industry for more than 20 years now. It is believed that her name – Lil’ Kim – came from her standing just a little above 4 feet and 11 inches tall. Since her debut in the ‘90s, Lil’ Kim has triumphed in what used to predominantly be a male-dominated music industry.
It did not take long for Lil’ Kim to become a well-known rapper, owing to her fashionable and stylish outfits that made heads turn, her over-the-top hairstyles and of course, her empowering music. However, the media often criticised her for her sense of clothing as well as the songs she created.
5 Interesting Facts About Lil’ Kim
- She had originally lied about her birth year.
- Spends over $2000 on one wig, and owns well over 800 wigs.
- She wears colored contact lenses frequently
- Lil’ Kim studied at Brooklyn College Academy High School
- She has a daughter called Royal Reign Jones Neil with Mr. Papers, her boyfriend.
Lil’ Kim’s top 5 tracks are:
- “Lady Marmalade” (released in 2001)
- “Crush on You” ft. Lil’ Cease (released in 1996)
- “Crush on You” ft. Lil’ Cease – Remix (released in 1996)
- “Magic Stick” (released in 2003)
- “The Jump Off” (released in 2003)
5. Sandra Denton with a Net Worth of $15 Million
Sandra Denton acquired the name ‘Pepa’ thanks to her being a part of the reality show ‘Salt-n-Pepa’, alongside Cheryl James. Denton is a producer, an actress, a writer and also a rapper.
5 Interesting Facts About Sandra Denton
- Sandra Denton met Cheyl James during their years studying nursing together at Queens Borough College.
- Denton has two children – a son named Tyson Moore and a daughter named Egypt Jahnari Criss.
- Tyson is her eldest child, whose father is her now ex-boyfriend.
- Egypt Jahnari Criss was born when Sandra was 28 years old.
- Sandra Denton ranked #83 on VH1’s Greatest Women of Rock N Roll.
Sandra Denton’s top hits are:
- “None of Your Business” (released in 1993)
- “Break of Dawn” (released in 1993)
- “Knock Knock” (released in 1997)
- “Twist and Shout” (released in 1988)
- “I’ll take your man” (released in 1986)
6. Cheryl James with a Net Worth of $14 Million
Cheryl James, also known as ‘Salt’ from ‘Salt-n-Pepa’, is number 6 on the richest female rappers in the world. She was born in Brooklyn, New York in 1966. Along with Sandra Denton, she formed a rap band called ‘Salt-n-Pepa’. Like most other leading female rappers, she is also an American actress as well as a rapper and a singer.
5 Interesting Facts About Cheryl James
- In 2001, Cheryl started working on her first solo album.
- Cheryl James was ranked #83 on VH1’s Greatest Women of Rock N Roll.
- She has 2 children – Corin, her daughter, and Chapele, her son.
- She divorced Gavin Wray in 2019.
- Her schooling was done in Grover Cleveland High School in Ridgewood, Queens, New York.
Cheryl James’ top hits are:
- “Get Up Everybody (Get Up)” (released in 1988)
- “Whatta Man” (released in 1993)
- “Shake Your Thang (It’s Your Thang)” (released in 1988)
- “Somma Time Man” (released in 1993)
- “Start the Party” (released in 1990)
7. M.I.A with a Net Worth of $14 Million
Mathangi Arulpragasam goes with the stage name of ‘M.I.A’. Born in 1975, M.I.A is a British-Sri Lankan rapper, producer, activist, singer and songwriter. M.I.A started her professional life as a designer and filmmaker in London, back in 2000. By 2002, she had ventured into the field of recording.
5 Interesting Facts About M.I.A
- She is a little under 5 feet 6 inches tall.
- M.I.A has been nominated for an Academy Award, a Mercury Prize and three Grammy Awards.
- M.I.A was raised in Sri Lanka, but was born in Hounslow, London.
- Her first album was released in 2005.
- Her song ‘Paper Planes’ became a worldwide hit and was in the Top 20.
M.I.A’s top 5 songs are:
- “Bad Girls” (released in 2013)
- “Galang” (released in 2005)
- “Paper Planes” (released in 2007)
- “Bucky Done Gun” (released in 2005)
- “Matangi” (released in 2013)
And That’s a Rap (Wrap)!
Out of the many successful women in the music industry, these 7 ladies have definitely set the stage on fire with their catchy lyrics and energy-filled songs. They have all proven that talent is always appreciated, and never stays hidden. All with a net worth of over $10 million, these seven ladies are living their lives to the fullest and how! We wonder who else will come join these successful and rich female rappers in the coming future – do you have any names in mind? Feel free to write to us with the name and some of their tracks. We love a good music session!
We hope you found exactly what you were looking for. If you have any questions, doubts or queries, feel free to drop a comment in our comments section below, and our experts will get back to you with an answer in no time. If there are any products you have in mind that you would like for us to review and compare, do write to us!