Are you someone who enjoys making the most of autonomous sensory meridian response (ASMR) to put yourself to sleep or cut off yourself from the world? Well, then the best ASMR headphones are all you need.
With so many headphones on the market, it can be a daunting task to find the best earbuds for ASMR or best headphones for listening to ASMR. While we hear this issue time and again from our audiences, we’ve also faced it first hand with some ASMR enthusiasts on our team. In fact, we did not even know that such a category exists on the market. Therefore, after getting multiple requests from our website visitors, we decided to perform detailed research on top trending headphones for ASMR. We tested over 45 headphones over 3 months to find the top 5 headphones for listening to ASMR.
In this guide, we’ll talk about those 4 headphones, review them in detail and list their pros and cons. Don’t know what ASMR is? No problem; we’ll also talk a little about ASMR before we move to the shortlisted headphones. Read further to know more.
What is ASMR?
Let’s cut straight to the chase; ASMR is a tingling, ecstatic feeling that is stimulated by certain noises, sounds, thoughts and visuals. Have you heard of the saying “I can feel shivers run down my spine?” That’s exactly how ASMR feels. It begins with a tingling sensation on your scalp and travels all the way down.
Now you must be wondering what role do headphones play here, right? Since audio and visuals can trigger ASMR, headphones play an important role in bringing about the feeling. Therefore, now that you know what ASMR means and why you need the best headphones for ASMR, let’s move to the main part of our guide.
Top 5 ASMR Headphones on the Market – Tried and Tested
While testing the ASMR headphones, we took multiple factors into account (we will discuss all the factors toward the end of this guide). And, based on all those factors, here’s the list of the 5 ASMR headphones that won our hearts. Even though most of us couldn’t feel much difference and felt the same as listening to music using normal headphones, the ASMR enthusiasts on our team were delighted to try all the products.
- Best Headphones for Sleeping ASMR – Homder Sleep Headphones
- Best Noise Canceling Headphones for ASMR – Cowin E7 Pro
- Best Budget ASMR Headphones – Nivava S8 Sleeping Headphones
- Best Headband ASMR Headphones – Perytong Sleep Headband Headphones
- Best ASMR Earbuds – Bose Quietcomfort 20
1. Homder Sleep Headphones: Best Headphones for Sleeping ASMR
- 2-in-1 product: Bluetooth headphones and sleeping mask for ASMR
- Can also be used for snoozing in the airplane
- Powered by a rechargeable 200 mAh battery
- Comfortable to sleep in; made of premium-quality material; the velcro instead of elastic ensures the mask doesn’t wear out fast
- Perfect for blocking light and sound
- Can easily fit faces of different sizes
- Excellent sound quality
- Instruction manual is difficult to understand
- Speakers are fragile, so you need to handle them very carefully
So, to begin with, we never experienced such headphones, nor did we know they existed. The Homder Sleep Headphones are very different from the usual audio headphones. In fact, they are a combination of Bluetooth headphones and a sleeping mask.
Firstly, let’s talk about the headphones. The headphones support Bluetooth 5.0 version and deliver excellent sound. We were delighted to discover a built-in microphone.
Secondly, the headphones do not have a headband or ear cups. The adjustable wireless mask covers them and you can adjust them per your convenience. The mask comes with velcro, and comprises 2 layers (polyester and cotton) for enhanced comfort. Therefore, the eye mask can be used to block external light and headphones for listening to ASMR.
Thirdly, you can wash the mask after removing the headphones. Yes, that’s right. However, even though the instruction manual says that you can wash the mask in a machine, we would recommend hand washing to retain the softness of the material. All you need to do is simply pull out a string that connects the 2 speakers and control panel and place it back once the mask has dried.
2. Cowin E7 Pro: Best Noise Canceling Headphones for ASMR
- Great noise cancelation for ASMR
- Upgraded soft-ear cushions; extremely comfortable to wear
- 30-hour playtime in a single charge over Bluetooth
- Excellent sound quality; headphones provide the right balance between bass and treble for ASMR
- Easy to receive and make calls
- Value for money
- You cannot sleep with the headphones on
The Cowin E7 Pro Headphones are the best noise-canceling headphones for ASMR. They provide the right bass and treble to trigger the tingling sensation in your body.
The headphones are extremely comfortable to wear and comprise generously-cushioned earpads. The ear cups can swivel 90 degrees, so you can twist and turn them per your comfort. Moreover, the headphones are lightweight and durable.
With the Cowin E7 Pro Headphones, it doesn’t matter if you are sleeping in a noisy environment; they provide excellent noise cancelation that blocks even the minutest of noise around you.
Another reason why we loved these headphones is that they are wireless; so, you don’t need to get into the hassles of entangling wires and stressing yourself even more. After all, the headphones are meant for de-stressing, relaxing and driving ASMR.
In conclusion, we loved the Cowin E7 Pro Headphones for their comfort, sound and ASMR effect. But, we would still go with the Homder Sleep Headphones as we cannot wear Cowin E7 Pro and sleep.
Read the Full Cowin E7 Pro Headphones Review
3. Nivava S8 Sleeping Headphones: Best Budget ASMR Headphones
- Comfortable to wear, even while sleeping on one side; doesn’t press against the eyes and comes with extra padding for the eye area
- Decent sound quality; bass and treble are balanced for driving ASMR
- Long battery life
- Effectively blocks out light and sound
- Speakers deliver crisp and clear sound
- Easily affordable
- Comes with Bluetooth 5.0; no connectivity issues
- Headphones do not provide stereo-quality sound
The Nivava S8 Sleeping Headphones can be a great buy for ASMR enthusiasts on a shoestring budget. They are especially suitable for people who prefer sleeping on one side.
Firstly, the headphones have a beautiful, ergonomic design that makes them aesthetically appealing. The moment we saw the headphones, we knew they would be absolutely comfortable. And, we weren’t wrong there. The sleeping mask that covers the headphones’ speakers is made of premium-quality memory foam that is soft and stretchable. So, it can easily fit on faces of different sizes.
Secondly, the sound quality is phenomenal. The headphones support the latest Bluetooth 5.0 versions and we did not experience any connectivity issues. We couldn’t really test the battery life since we tested the product for around 0.5-1 hour; however, from what we have read in the existing customer reviews, the headphones can provide about 10 hours of playtime in a single charge.
Overall, the Nivava S8 Sleeping Headphones are great for those who sleep on one side; one of the ASMR enthusiasts on our team, who is also a big-time side sleeper, slept with the headphones on and did not experience any ear pain when he woke up the next morning.
4. Perytong Sleep Headband Headphones: Best Headband ASMR Headphones
- Comfortable to wear, even while sleeping on one side; doesn’t press against the ears
- Perfect combination of comfort and function
- Made of a lightweight, soft, stretch-knit fabric sewn together; inner fabric is a fine mesh
- Fits comfortably on heads of different sizes
- Excellent sound quality
- High-fidelity stereo sound
- Can be used as sports earphones, wireless sleep headphones and workout headband; 3-in-1 product
- Good battery life; can provide up to 10 hours of playtime in a single charge
- Washable; simply remove the wireless headphones and wash; install back once the headband has dried
- Noise-cancelling wireless headphones block all the outside noise and sounds
- We were not happy with the audio quality during calls
We were absolutely stunned at this product. Firstly, we’d seen ASMR headphones with a sleeping mask; however, we had no idea that even ASMR headband headphones existed. Secondly, the Perytong Sleep Headband Headphones are one of the best ASMR headphones on our list.
The wireless headband headphones are extremely comfortable and made of a unique fabric that doesn’t put pressure on your areas. The material is sweatproof and dries up pretty quickly.
The headband covers the wireless speakers that support Bluetooth 5.0 version. The headphones are flat and thin, and do not hurt your ears when you are sleeping on either side. The wireless headphones also comprise a built-in microphone that can be used to receive calls.
All in all, we really liked the Perytong Sleep Headband Headphones. In fact, one of the ASMR enthusiasts on our team is claustrophobic and was finding it somewhat difficult to wear the Homder Sleep Headphones. He was really happy with these headphones.
5. Bose Quietcomfort 20: Best ASMR Earbuds
- Active noise cancellation (ANC) makes the earbuds perfect for ASMR stimulation
- Comfortable for prolonged usage/wearing while sleeping
- Seamless Bluetooth connectivity
- Crisp and clear sound; great call audio quality
- Easy to use
- Rechargeable; USB cable included in the package
- Come with “Aware” mode that allows you to jump out of the ANC mode completely, in a single click
- Great sound quality
- The most expensive ASMR headphones on our list
- Cord is not tangle-free
Since we are covering different types of ASMR headphones, we thought it would be a good idea to include an in-the-ear option too. And, that’s how we included the Bose Quietcomfort 20 Headphones in our list.
As the name suggests, the earbuds are extremely comfortable and lightweight. The noise cancelation feature works beautifully and completely blocks outside noise. Also, the sound quality of the earbuds is phenomenal and can put you to sleep in a matter of minutes (no claims here; it’s tried and tested).
What we liked best in the earbuds are the Stay Hear+ Ear Tips. The earbuds are delivered in 3 different sizes to suit different ears. Also, the earbuds work perfectly with both Android and iOS devices. We unanimously voted these earbuds as the most comfortable earbuds we’ve tried so far (across all headphones categories).
3 Factors to Consider When Looking for the Best ASMR Headphones
Now, let’s discuss the 3 key factors that we consider while finding top ASMR headphones. To stimulate ASMR, it’s of the utmost importance to pick the right headphones.
To stimulate ASMR, you need complete relaxation and comfort. Therefore, it’s important to pick headphones that are comfortable and made of breathable materials. The material of the headphones (ear cups/headband/mask) should be soft, premium-quality and sweatproof. As much as possible, avoid synthetic material as it can make the headphones wearing experience worse during summer months.
Most people use ASMR headphones while sleeping. Therefore, it’s vital to ensure you buy wireless headphones if the same is the case with you. However, if you are planning to wear the headphones during day time, you can also explore the wired headphones category. Most ASMR headphones on the market, especially those with a sleeping mask or headband are wireless.
The sound quality game is a little different with ASMR headphones. Unlike the normal audio/stereo headphones, you don’t need powerful bass/treble with these headphones. The best ASMR headphones on the market provide a perfectly-balanced, crisp and clear sound. The bass and treble are well-balanced to soothe the ears and calm the mind; in simpler words, stimulate ASMR.
Frequently Asked Questions
These days, many people watch ASMR videos on YouTube to stimulate ASMR. However, according to an article on HelloGiggles, wearing headphones improves the possibility of ASMR as the ASMR-stimulating sounds are accurately delivered to the brain in the form of ASMR signals.
No. Listening to ASMR while sleeping is not a bad idea. In fact, most people listen to ASMR while going to bed as it enhances the sleep quality. Even if ASMR doesn’t help you fall asleep, it can relax your mind and body. You should not listen to ASMR while driving.
According to ASMR experts, it should not be louder than 85 decibels, as higher frequencies can damage human ears.
Headphones (on-the-ear) are better for ASMR than earphones (in-the-ear) since they create a broader sound stage that is required for ASMR.
ASMR artists wear headphones to ensure what they are recording is sounding correct from an ASMR perspective. Using headphones, they monitor their recordings and check the presence of loud sounds and high-pitch/shrieky noises.
Now that you know almost everything about ASMR and headphones, what do you think about using headphones for stimulating ASMR? We’ve tried it and it worked for some of us (everyone cannot experience ASMR).
Also, in almost all the guides we write, in the end, we always choose our top favorite from the list of best headphones; however, in case of ASMR headphones we won’t be able to pick a single best product as ASMR stimulation is a very subjective topic. It’s not necessary that the headphones that drive my ASMR will do the same for you. Therefore, your choice will completely depend on your previous experiences with ASMR and what you are looking for in the best ASMR headphones.
We sincerely hope you found the guide to the best headphones for listening to ASMR useful. If you are still not able to make an informed choice, let us know by sharing your queries/concerns/comments below.